Hey there, crafty readers! Are you tired of your cluttered spaces and struggling to keep everything organized? Well, you’re in luck because we’ve got the ultimate solution for you – a DIY cube storage makeover!
With a little creativity and some DIY magic, you can turn this plain piece of furniture into functional eye candy that works wonders with storage!
This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you.
1. Assessing Your Cube Storage Needs
The first step in our DIY cube storage unit makeover is to figure out what exactly you’ve tucked away in those fabulous cube storage bins. Identifying your specific requirements will guide you through the entire makeover process.
What Do You Store in Cube Storage Bins?
The answer is simple: almost anything your heart desires! Cube storage bins are something like the superheroes of organization. They can comfortably house:
- Toys, and
- All those little knick-knacks that deserve a home
Whether you’re going for a clutter-free living room or a tidy kid’s room, a cube storage cabinet will effortlessly do the trick!
Where Can I Use Cube Storage Bins?
The real question is, where can’t you use cube storage bins? These basic cube organizers fit like a glove in virtually every corner of your home.
I’ve created a list of ideas to get you started:
Combining open and closed cubes for storage and display can help you utilize cube organizers as a:
- TV stand
- Media Console
- Stylish bookshelf
- Decorative items display area
- Divider and room separator
- Floating wall unit
- Mini home bar
- Design a custom closet organization system for clothing, shoes, and accessories storage
- Chic vanity or Dressing area to store makeup, jewelry, and beauty essentials
- Bedside nightstand
- Multi-purpose headboard
- Floating shelves and display
- Reading nook and Bookshelves
- Functional workspace for storing office supplies, files, and books
- Command center
- Vertical magazine rack
- Inspirational display
- Flat file cabinet for hanging file folders
- Dual workstation – perfect if you share your workspace with someone else
- Gadget and device charging station
- Personalized bulletin board
Cubby storage units make an ideal:
- Toy organization center
- Inexpensive bookcase
- Study area
- Clothing storage
- Playful room divider
- Lego and block storage
- Stuffed animal zoo
- Art and craft station
Entryway or Mudroom
- Shoe and bags storage solution
- Drop zone for storing keys, wallets, and mail, along with a decorative mirror or wall art
- Pet care station
- Family command center
- Backpack and School supplies organizer
- Umbrella stand
- Sports gear storage
- Mini mudroom bench
Craft Room or Hobby Space
- Versatile crafting station
- Sewing or Knitting area
- Wrapping paper organizer
- Washi tape and ribbon display
- Scrapbook and Paper organizer
- Paint and Art supplies rack
- Crafting materials storage
- Home office and craft combo
- Quilting and fabric stash organizer
- DIY tools and hardware holder
- Towel and Toiletry organizer
- Countertop extension
- Wall-mounted cubbies
- Medicine cabinet alternative
- Makeup and beauty product holder
- Stylish display area for candles, plants, and decorative accents
- Hair tools and appliances organizer
- Cleaning supplies station
- Over-the-toilet storage
- Linen closet substitute
Garage or Utility Room
- Tool and hardware organizer
- Sports gear storage
- Gardening supplies holder
- Lawn care products organizer
- Laundry room solution for storing detergent, cleaning supplies, and sorting laundry
- Seasonal storage for items, such as holiday decorations, pool accessories, or winter gear
- Materials rack
- Car care station
- Household cleaning station
2. Planning Your DIY Cube Storage Makeover
Prepping and Priming Your Cube Storage
Start by preparing your furniture for the makeover.
- Empty the whole unit.
- Clean it thoroughly from dust and dirt with a damp cloth.
- Check the furniture for any damages or defects that need to be repaired or reinforced.
- Sand the surfaces.
- Apply a suitable primer for better paint adhesion.
- Let it dry completely.
Choosing and Applying Paint or Finish
Can you repaint cube storage?
A fresh coat of paint can change the look and feel of any piece of furniture, and your cube storage is not an exception. If I have to be completely honest, getting my hands dirty with paint is my favorite part of the cube storage revamp process!
You can use a wide variety of paint types in your cubby refresh. I’ve collected some ideas for inspiration that I am sure you’ll love. I will include links to the same or similar primer and paint for each idea to make it easier for you to order, too:
1. Farmhouse Storage Cubes
Add farmhouse personality to your room with a farmhouse storage cubes makeover.
- Rust-Oleum Spray Primer
- Country Chic Chalk Paint
- Rust-Oleum Ultra Matte Interior Acrylic Chalk Paint
- Chalky Chicks Premium Chalk Style Paint – No sanding, No primer needed, multi-surface paint
2. Vintage Vibes DIY Elevated Cube Storage Makeover
Functional, inexpensive, and full of personality – this is what your new vintage vibes DIY elevated cube storage could look like if you follow this tutorial.
- Kilimanjaro by Behr – Flat Interior/Exterior Paint
- Peach Mimosa by Behr – Flat Interior/Exterior Paint
3. DIY Cube Storage Makeover with White Paint and Geometrical Wallpaper
Alternative Cube Makeover Techniques
4. Ikea Cube Storage Makeover with Decoupage
If you don’t feel like painting the multifunctional, but truly unattractive IKEA cube storage in your kids’ room, why don’t you try playing with decoupage?
5. Distress Wood for Vintage Cube Storage Look
Why not try distressing the wood on the wooden countertop and add some vintage charm to your cube storage unit?
6. Use Stencils for Your Cube Storage Revamp
A small change can go a long way. If you’ve ever painted something using stencils, you’d know how drastic the look and feel of any cube storage. If you haven’t tried it yet, this piece of furniture is a wonderful start!
In this video, you’ll see 20 different stencil tips and techniques to practice for your storage cabinet refresh. I’m sure they’ll get you inspired.
How do you make a cube organizer? How do you make homemade cube storage?
Are you looking for some easy shelves? I am always looking for various ways to add storage and I love to get creative. I ran to Dollar Store, grabbed some bins, and made easy plastic crate shelves on a budget. You can find the full tutorial at Easy DIY Dollar Tree Plastic Crate Shelves with Video
How do you make wooden storage cubes?
How do you make a bookshelf out of wooden crates? With a limited amount of storage space and some wood crates from Walmart, I found just what I needed to create an easy DIY wood crate bookshelf. I am always looking for ways to add extra storage, especially in a small space. I thought making a unique rustic shelf would be a fun diy project. You can find the full tutorial at Easy and Awesome DIY Wood Crate Bookshelf with Video
3. Enhancing Functionality and Organization. How Do You Organize Cube Storage? How do you organize the inside of a storage cube?
Assessing Your Storage Needs and Priorities
- Evaluate the specific items you plan to store in the cube unit. Use the lists with ideas for the different rooms I mention in this post above. I am sure you’ll get inspiration.
- Think about what you want from your updated furniture piece in terms of:
- Visual appeal
Decluttering and Sorting
- Empty the cube storage and sort your items into categories.
- Assess each item’s usefulness and sentimental value, and decide whether to keep, donate, or discard it.
Categorizing and Grouping Items
- Think of logical categories for your stored items so it’s easier to remember where you store your things (e.g., books, toys, office supplies).
- Grouping similar items together in the cube storage is something you should definitely consider, as it will keep your things neatly stored and easy to access.
Utilizing Bins, Baskets, and Dividers
Not everyone likes to have their stuff laying around for everyone to see. That’s especially true for moms and the toys in the kids’ rooms. So, I prepared several ideas for bins, baskets, dividers, and containers you can add to your unit’s cubes.
Fabric or Canvas Bins
- 6 bins in a package
- Stylish, sturdy, breathable fabric
- Easy to carry sewn-in, easy-to-grab handles
- Open-top bins or drawers for a storage cube organizer
- Collapsible for compact storage
- Variety of colors available
- Sturdy design
- Multi-purpose use
- Collapsible design
- Breathable and environmentally friendly materials
- Perfect fit in cube storage units
- Variety of color options
If you love these beautiful foldable boxes as much as I do, get them here now
- 100% safe materials
- Unique folding method
- High-quality rope
- Easy shaping
- 28% more space compared to round bins
- Reinforced, completely hidden handles
- Different color options are available
- 100% Eco water hyacinth wicker
- Ideal for storing your pantry essentials, blankets, laundry, etc.
- Integrated handles
- Foldable, so you can neatly put them away
- Good size – 12x12x12 inch
Maximize your cube storage vertical space with the perfect vertical dividers!
Clear Closet Shelf Dividers 6 Pcs Set
- Maximizes your shelf storage space
- Clip-on design for easy installation and removal
- With round and smooth corners
- Thick, high-quality acrylic material
- Perfect for office, bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, laundry, garage, and more
If you love how universal these clear shelf dividers are, order a set of 6 now!
Store all of your frequently used:
- Take-out menus
- School papers
- Kid’s artwork
- Medical paperwork
- Other documents
If you’re even a bit like me, you can get lost in the IKEA hackers’ website for hours! That’s why I couldn’t miss sharing how to divide your shelves with inserts. Smart and lovely!
- Save space
- Keeps your items organized together
- The cutout handles make it easy to lift, slide, and move around the boxes
- See-through design that allows you to effortlessly identify what’s inside without digging through the bin
- Strong and sturdy
- Easy to clean
- Multipurpose storage solution
- Simple but unique check pattern appearance
- Simple and elegant colors
- With a visible plastic label on the back
- Finely crafted, strong, not easily collapsible
- Reinforced pull-out type handle on the side
- Mold-proof, waterproof, breathable, odor-free, and environmentally friendly materials
- Reinforced bottom
- Large capacity for multiple uses
- Can be folded when not used
If you love this check pattern, too, grab it from here.
Don’t feel like spending tons of money on boxes for your cube unit? Then, get this pack of 10 beautiful black and white decorative cardboard boxes!
Here are my top tips about accessibility in your furniture piece refresh:
- Arrange frequently used items within easy reach, preferably in the lower or middle sections of the cube storage.
- Place less frequently used or seasonal items in higher or less accessible areas.
Adding Labels and Markers
Label bins or baskets to clearly indicate the contents of each cube. Consider using adhesive labels, chalkboard labels, or even decorative tags for a visually appealing touch.
Here are some ideas:
- Removable adhesive sticker labels
- Compatible with laser and inkjet printers
- Can be used on and removed without a mark from a variety of surfaces, including:
Don’t miss adding these to your cart, too!
Chalk paint for the storage cabinet goes very well with chalkboard labels! These labels stick great on glass, paper, plastic, and most surfaces! Get yours now from Amazon.
Styling and Decorating
To achieve a stylish look, especially with boxes and baskets that are visible at all times, add little details, such as:
- Framed photos
- Small artwork
- Adhesive decals
This will enhance the visual appeal of your cube unit.
Think about the color scheme, too. Incorporating cohesive colors or patterns will contribute to a more aesthetically pleasing look.
I’d love to hear your brilliant ideas for styling and decorating that I may have missed mentioning here. Drop your suggestions in the comments below, and who knows – your fantastic tips could make it into the post when I update it!
Regular Maintenance and Organization
Now that your space is organized to perfection, it’s time to talk about maintaining that brilliance in the long run.
- Return Items to Their Designated Places: One golden rule to maintain an organized cube storage system is to put things back where they belong. After using an item, resist the urge to leave it out. Instead, make it a habit to return items to their designated place.
- Consistency is Key: Establishing a consistent routine for your storage maintenance is essential. Whether it’s a weekly tidy-up or a monthly refresh, rearrange items as needed, dust off the surfaces, and reevaluate your storage needs.
- Seasonal Refresh: As the seasons change, so does clutter accumulates. A seasonal refresh keeps your cube storage in order and ready for new adventures!
- Bins and Baskets for Order: Keep small items in bins or baskets within your unit. This clever trick ensures similar items stay together and prevents small objects from getting lost or cluttered.
- Functional Labelling: Keep your cube storage organized effortlessly with functional labeling. Check out the label options I’ve shared above in this post, they’re great!
And there you have it, your last big DIY project – your cube storage refresh – has reached its triumphant end! You’ve transformed a humble piece of furniture into a versatile and organized conversation-starter piece that elevates your living spaces to new heights.
With creativity, a little elbow grease, and our comprehensive guide, you’ve achieved a storage solution that perfectly aligns with your lifestyle and brings a touch of charm to every room.
Which is your favorite idea? How are you thinking about transforming your cube storage unit? Let me know in the comments below!