Have you ever wanted to makeover a bathroom vanity light? We had a dated light in our bathroom that needed an update. This is my DIY and you could easily do this in a rental home.
Here is the original light in our bathroom. Want to know something else? The builder didn’t center the mirror under it so it’s always been off center. It was time to update it, and come up with a way to fix that centering issue.
Materials needed for this light fixture update?
How do you cover up a light fixture?
Here are the instructions on the bathroom vanity light makeover
- The first thing I did was measure the height, width, and depth of my light fixture.
My measurements were 5 inches high, 18 inches wide, and 6 inches deep. To make this project I needed to add some clearance onto these measurements so that it could cover the light fixture and not be too close to the lights.
I had come to the conclusion that my measurements for this cover would be 8 inches high, 22 inches wide, & 7 inches deep. In addition to that, I would need a couple of inches to attach the cover to the wall.
2. I measured each section off on my foam core board, and drew my lines of where I would need to cut the board.
3. I used my razer blade to cut the foam core board.
Here’s a quick look at all of the cut pieces.
4. I laid my fabric out and placed the foam core board on top so that I could cut the fabric. I added 2 inches to every side so that I’d have plenty of fabric to glue onto the board.
5. I hot glued all the foam core pieces together to for the bathroom light fixture cover.
I was generous with the hot glue, and I reinforced all of the edges to make it sturdy.
6. I hot glued the fabric onto the foam core board.
Here’s a look at the back side once the whole bathroom light fixture was covered.
7. I hot glued on 2 picture hanging command hooks on each side of the vanity light cover.
8. I pulled off the backs of the command strips, and pressed them onto the wall over the top of the bathroom vanity light.
Here’s a look up close of the bathroom vanity light cover.
I’m really happy with how it turned out.
You can paint a light fixture, or you can create a valance to cover the light fixture.
Start by measuring the light fixture, cut foam core board, glue the foam core board together, cover the foam core board with fabric, and use command strips to adhere the cover to the wall over the light.
Ways to support me without it costing you a dime!
Click and shop any of these stores – I receive a small commission at no cost to you.