Are you looking for DIY kitchen organization ideas? I have several tips to share with you and they’re all quick and easy to do.
I love an organized space and I especially love DIY kitchen storage and an orderly kitchen that allows me to have easy access to everything I need. Well-organized kitchen storage can be a challenge and can be even tougher in a small kitchen. I am always looking for ways to create extra storage space in my kitchen cabinets, kitchen pantry, and under the kitchen sink. I wanted to share some tips for kitchen container storage and organization, and my journey along the way.
DIY Kitchen Organization Ideas Video
After having breast cancer, I was told to eliminate as much plastic from my life as possible – and/or make sure the plastic I’m using is approved.
One of the best ways to ensure the plastic you use is safe is to look for BPA-free products. I checked the labels on all of my plastic and looked for the right numbers and/or that it said BPA Free.
Anything that I didn’t want that had “okay” numbers, or was BPA Free, I donated, and anything that wasn’t okay I recycled.
DIY Kitchen Organization Ideas
I didn’t want to donate anything that wouldn’t be okay for anyone else to use.
This is the bottom kitchen drawer in one of my cabinets. I have a lot of Pyrex glass wear and stacking is a great way to create extra space. Under my big mixing bowls, I stacked the lids, then placed the bowls on top.
For the other containers I stacked similar items and sized bowls/containers, and I used a separate plastic container to keep all of the lids organized.
This is the top drawer in that same cabinet and I used a stacking system here as well. This is an efficient way to make good use of your space. All of the lids that fit those stainless bowls are in order directly underneath them. My colanders/strainers are all stacked in the back.
The few plastic containers (with the correct number and BPA Free) that I kept are all organized by stacking them with appropriate lids in a large size plastic container to keep them together.
I have converted as much as I could to glass clear containers for storage. I love these Pyrex decorative containers that I got from Costco – they match my kitchen.
Pyrex is one of my favorite kitchen organization hacks because the lids mix and match with containers of the same size. It isn’t specific to each piece.
So, some of my mixing bowl lids are the right size to fit some of the other containers. What a clever idea. This is really nice – grab and close. No worries about hunting for the right one.
For my Corningware (which I’ve had for over 20 years) I have a great option for stacking.
I place the smaller size dish inside the larger dish.
I put the smaller lid upside down inside, on top of the small dish.
I put the larger lid right side up on top. It all fits and stacks nicely together.
This is a clever way to make the most of your kitchen space.
This stacking system is also an easy way to store glass pans and free up precious cabinet space.
Little pans in the big pans, and then stack them on top of their lids.
There are so many ingenious DIY kitchen organization ideas and kitchen storage ideas out there and so many products available to help you maximize your space. There are an endless number of storage bins and drawer dividers that can be used in different ways to organize things like dish towels, cooking utensils, kitchen utensils, and other small items. If you have a particularly deep drawer a drawer organizer will be most helpful. Also, don’t forget to utilize the inside of cabinet doors for storage. You can add hooks, a magnetic strip, or small wire baskets to make the most of the space inside your cabinet doors.
You might like some of these kitchen organization tips:
- Add lazy susans to your cabinets and refrigerator
- If you store your cutting boards, you can either lay them flat and set something on them or vertically with your cookie sheets to help save space.
- I have a whole post on Pantry organization that might help you figure out how to store your dry goods, and food storage, and even use a door organizer on the back of your pantry door
- Use a tension rod under your skink to help store cleaning supplies, spray bottles, and other things.
- I keep my plastic bags in an empty old container
- If you have a small desk space in your kitchen make sure to clean out that junk drawer and use it more efficiently
- small baskets can be your friend to keep little items together and keep things off of your kitchen counter
- Dollar store items can help you with the organization. They have any size basket you’ll need, as well as other kitchen items.
- If you want an organized pantry click here to learn more
- You can always use mason jars to store things
- I keep my trash bags handy under the sink
- You can always use your dishwasher handle as a towel rack if you don’t have a convenient space to put one.
- You can DIY a kitchen island if you need more space
- You can organize your water bottles like this
- You can store your aluminum foil and other storage bags like this
- You can hang things inside of your cabinet doors.
Learn more about “Why to Deep Clean and Organize Your Home” to save money, function better, and keep your sanity.
DIY Kitchen Organization Ideas Video
You may also like these organizing tips: