Do you love applesauce or apple puree? I have a super easy homemade recipe that is healthy, delicious and has no added sugar.
Ingredients needed for applesauce and apple puree
These apples are from our apple tree. Apple trees need to cross-pollinate in order to produce. My husband’s friend grafted a branch from a male and female tree to each other so they would cross-pollinate themselves. We are so lucky he gave us one of the 2 trees.
applesauce and apple puree Video
Instructions for homemade applesauce and apple puree
1. Prep the apples
You’ll want to core, peel, and slice the apples. I used my apple peeler corer slicer and the process goes really fast. You can also just use a vegetable peeler and then cut the apples into chunks.
2. Place Apples and water in the slow cooker
3. Cook the apples
Place your lid on your slow cooker, and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
4. Stir the apples
Stir the apples in the slow cooker and when they are tender they will fall right apart. If they don’t, they might need to cook a little longer. The texture will be a little lumpy at this point. You can make apple puree by blending or using an emersion blender or food processor to get your apples to the desired consistency.
5. Eat, refrigerate, or freeze the applesauce.
You can eat your applesauce immediately, place it in the refrigerator, or freezer in an airtight container. You can even freeze small portions in ice-cube trays.
Does homemade applesauce need lemon juice?
I do not add it to my recipe as this cooking process already turns the apples brown.
Is homemade applesauce/apple puree better?
We like the taste better in our house because it’s just apples and water. No added sugar, chemicals, or preservatives.
What can I add into my apple sauce or apple puree?
- Pumpkin puree
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Cinnamon Candies
What can I use the apple sauce or puree for?
- Tastes great on pancakes or waffles
- Try it on Ice-cream
Fun fact, did you know that Johnny Appleseed was a real person? This puree is great for baby food, just blend your favorite apple and serve it with a spoon. It’s all-natural, full of antioxidants, and a great source of fiber and vitamin C. You can use any sweet apple like pink lady, jazz, etc.
You might also like my apple cider recipe, it’s a tradition in our house.
Slow Cooker Homemade Applesauce Video
Check out some of my other slow cooker recipes!
- Amazing and Easy Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili
- Super Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie with Video
- Easy Slow Cooker Enchilada Soup
Shop any of these stores and I receive a small commission at no cost to you.
Slow Cooker Homemade Applesauce & Apple Puree, Oh So Easy and Yummy
- 12 Apples
- 1/2 cup Water
- You’ll want to core, peel, and slice the apples. I used my apple peeler corer slicer and the process goes really fast.
- Place your apples in your slow cooker. I fill it to the brim with apples. Add 1/2 cup water to the slow cooker.
- Place your lid on your slow cooker, and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Stir the apples in the slow cooker and they’ll fall right apart. If they don’t, they might need to cook a little longer. The texture will be a little lumpy at this point. You can make apple puree by blending or using an emersion blender to get your apples nice and smooth.