Do you want some vegetable garden ideas? I’m planting vegetables in straw bales, and in a garden bed, and I’m sharing my process with you.
Do you want some vegetable garden ideas? Are you interested in growing your own vegetables? Vegetable gardening is a great way to enjoy the outdoors with the added bonus of fresh vegetables at the end of the journey! Whether your garden space is a small backyard, a rooftop garden, a vertical garden, or a spacious backyard garden, you can create vegetable beds that are suited for any available space. There is nothing quite like the feeling of growing your own food and let’s face it, home-grown veggies taste much better than the ones you buy at the grocery store. Whether you are a new gardener or have been growing your own produce for years, enjoying delicious vegetables from your own backyard is a joy.
For those of you who missed it, you can find the tutorial about Gardening with Straw Bales Set Up.
What materials are needed for a Vegetable garden
- Straw bales or Treated Wood
- Soaker Hose
- Tomato Cages
- Solar lights
- Planting Soil
- Noise Makers
Vegetable Garden Ideas video
HERE ARE THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR PLANTING YOUR VEGETABLE GARDEN
1. FERTILIZE YOUR STRAW BALES
Here is the conditioning process I followed from the Straw Bale Gardens Book and the fertilizer I used.
- Day 1, 1/2 cup Max Lawn 26-0-4 fertilizer, saturate with water
- Day 2, water only
- Day 3, 1/2 cup, saturate with water
- Day 4, water only
- Day 5, 1/2 cup, water
- Day 6, water only
- Day 7-9, 1/4 cup, water
- Day 10 1 cup Max Lawn 10-10-10 fertilizer, water
- Day 12 Plant
For my row with the wooden planks, I just updated it with fresh, rich soil from the nursery.
2. PLAN OUT YOUR GARDEN
I made a garden design on a piece of paper with the different vegetables I would plant in each of the bales.
I headed off to the nursery to purchase a variety of vegetables, some organic planting soil, and organic fertilizer for the plants. For best results, you should use good soil so your plants develop strong roots.
HOW DO I LAY OUT THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF VEGETABLES IN MY GARDEN?
- Bale 1 Broccoli, Cauliflower, Acorn Squash
- Bale 2 Brussel Sprouts, Sugar Snap Peas, Tomato
- Bale 3 Cucumber, Jalapeno, Salsa Pepper
- Bale 4 Cabbage, Tomato
- Bale 5 Spaghetti Squash
- Bale 6 Pumpkin
- Bale 7 Green Beans
- Bale 8 Tomato, Carrots
- Bale 9 Zucchini, Yellow Squash
- Bale 10 Eggplant, Pie Pumpkin
- Middle garden- rhubarb, strawberries, herbs
3. PLANT YOUR VEGETABLES
- I placed the soaker hose onto the bales and used my original drip line for my center garden. This is a simple way to ensure even watering in all the different planters.
- I placed the plants onto the bales where I wanted them to go.
- I dug the shovel into the bale and moved it back and forth to make space for the plant, and then placed the young plants into the bale.
- I placed the fresh organic planting mix on top of the plants to cover any exposed roots.
- I added dirt to the top of the bale and planted seeds into the dirt.
I use a whiskey barrel as a container garden. I plant my mint here so that It won’t take over the garden. You can do this with other plants as well. Container gardening is one of the easiest ways to create a small vegetable garden if you have limited space.
You can click on the title to see my full post about recommendations for this. Here are a few of the things I used once my plants were in place.
- Solar Lights
- Reflective Objects
Vegetable Garden Question and Answers
What are the easiest vegetables to grow in a garden?
Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Kale, Peas, Green Beans, Herbs, Carrots, Summer Squash, Zucchini
When can I start planting my own vegetable garden?
The important thing is to learn about your climate and the specifics of the growing season in your area. To have success it’s a good idea to know when the cooler temperatures abate and the last snow and frost happen. For many, Memorial Day is a great weekend to plant your vegetable plants in the garden.
What month should you start a garden?
You can start seedlings inside around March, and garden plants can most often be planted in May. You can find seed packets at your local nursery or from seed catalogs.
Backyard Vegetable Garden Ideas video
Shop any of these stores and I receive a small commission at no cost to you.
Check out these other AMAZING gardening posts from my friends!
Check out some of my other garden posts!