Do you want some vegetable garden ideas? I’m planting vegetables in straw bales, and in a garden bed, and I’m sharing my process with you.
For those of you who missed it, you can find the tutorial about Gardening with Straw Bales Set Up
What materials are needed for a vegetable garden
- Straw bales or Treated Wood
- Soaker Hose
- Tomato Cages
- Solar lights
- Planting Soil
- Noise Makers
Here are the instructions for Planting your vegetable garden
1. Fertilize your straw bales
Here is the conditioning process I followed from the Straw Bale Gardens Book and what fertilizer I used.
- Day 1, 1/2 cup Max Lawn 26-0-4 fertilizer, saturate with water
- Day 2, water only
- Day 3, 1/2 cup, saturate with water
- Day 4, water only
- Day 5, 1/2 cup, water
- Day 6, water only
- Day 7-9, 1/4 cup, water
- Day 10 1 cup Max Lawn 10-10-10 fertilizer, water
- Day 12 Plant
For my row with the railroad ties, I just updated it with fresh garden soil from the nursery.
3. Plan your Garden Out
I mapped out the garden on a piece of paper with what vegetables I would plant in which bales.
I headed off to the nursery to purchase my vegetables, some organic planting soil, and organic fertilizer for the plants.
How do I layout my vegetable garden?
- Bale 1 Broccoli, Cauliflower, Acorn Squash
- Bale 2 Brussel Sprouts, Sugar Snap Peas, Tomato
- Bale 3 Cucumber, Jalapeno, Salsa Pepper
- Bale 4 Cabbage, Tomato
- Bale 5 Spaghetti Squash
- Bale 6 Pumpkin
- Bale 7 Green Beans
- Bale 8 Tomato, Carrots
- Bale 9 Zucchini, Yellow Squash
- Bale 10 Eggplant, Pie Pumpkin
- Middle garden- rhubarb, strawberries, herbs
4. Plant Your vegetables
- I placed the soaker hose onto the bales, and used my original drip line for my center garden.
- I placed the plants onto the bales where I wanted them to go.
- I dug the shovel into the bale and moved it back and forth to make space for the plant, and then placed the plant into the bale.
- I placed the fresh organic planting mix on top of the plants to cover any exposed roots.
- I added dirt to the top of the bale and planted seeds into the dirt.
I plant my mint in a whiskey barrel so that It won’t take over the garden. You can do this with other plants as well and it’s called container gardening.
You can click on the title to go see my full post about recommendations for this, and here are a few of the things I set into place once my plants were in place.
- Solar Lights
- Reflective Objects
Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Kale, Peas, Green Beans, Herbs, Peas, Carrots, Summer Squash, Zucchini
The important thing is to learn your climate and know when the last snow and frost happens. For many, Memorial Day is a great weekend to plant your vegetable plants in the garden.
You can start seedlings inside around March, and garden plants can most often be planted in May.
Vegetable Garden Ideas video
Check out these other AMAZING gardening posts from my friends!