Do you want an easy dye for wood? I love Folk Art Home Decor Ultra Dye, it comes in a variety of shades and can be used for any celebration.
You’re going to love this awesome wood dye because it does come in a variety of colors and you can use it like wood stains or paint on layers for a bolder look. I like this brand too because it’s water-based and easy to clean out of my brushes. There is powder dye and other powders out there. These are liquids that go on super easily and have no mixing involved.
You might remember the archway I made for my parents at Christmastime.
My mom mentioned she would like to keep the archway up year-round. As we moved into January, I decided to decorate it for Valentine’s Day.
In addition to that, we hadn’t been able to get together for their 50th wedding anniversary so I thought it would be a good opportunity to surprise them and celebrate now.
Dye For Wood Materials
Dye For Wood Video
I’ll be using wooden hearts that I found at Dollar Tree.
Dye For Wood instructions
I painted the entire wooden heart blank with Folk Art Home Decor Wood Tint in the color Red. I’m a huge fan of Folk Art Home Decor Ultra Dye and Wood Tint for these reasons:
- Water Based so it cleans up easy
- Really easy to work with
- Goes on smoothly
- Can add more for a darker color or wipe off for a lighted effect
- Comes in a variety of colors
After I painted the entire piece, I wiped it gently with a paper towel to remove the excess. Once this side was dry, I repeated the process on the other side. It dries really fast so it didn’t take long to knock these hearts out.
That’s all there is to dying wood!
Now onto decorating some of the dyed wood hearts.
With this one, I decided to stencil it by adding a stencil and painting over the stencil. I have several tutorials about stenciling for you as well.
This is just one way you can decorate your wood-dyed heart.
I had fun decorating with some of these items:
- Mirror Stickers
- Rub on transfers
- Wooden shapes
You could also have more fun decorating with
- Wall or Contact paper
- Fabric or paper with Mod Podge
I added ivy to all of the archways that I purchased from Amazon, and I hung all of the decorated hearts on the archway.
We were able to celebrate my parent’s anniversary (51st), and you can see them in my video. In the picture left to right are me, my husband, my daughter, my niece, my brother, my mom, and my dad. My son was missing as he had to work.
Other important information:
- The types of wood (oak, pine, maple, etc) you use will affect the absorbency of the dye, some are more absorbent than others.
- You’ll want to seal this kind of dye because the wood coloring will bleed outdoors in the elements.
- You can use a spray sealer
- When you sand, sand with the wood grain.
- There are pigments (pigment stain), oil-based, and water-soluble liquid dyes. You can also dye with rit dye.
- You can apply it with a foam brush or paintbrush.
- You can also dye wood with a mixture of steel wool and vinegar to give it a rusty look.
- You can dye wood with natural elements like beets, turmeric, dirt, food coloring, and coffee.
- Dying wood works best on unfinished wood or raw wood so it will absorb in the wood pores.
What will be your first DIY with this liquid concentrate dye?
Dye For Wood Video
Shop any of these stores and I receive a small commission at no cost to you.