How to clean Lululemon yoga mat? Discover the best methods and natural solutions to effectively clean and maintain your Lululemon yoga mat. Our comprehensive guide provides step-by-step instructions, homemade cleaners, and essential care tips for a fresh and germ-free mat. Enhance your yoga practice with a clean and odor-free Lululemon mat today!
Today, I’m going to show you how to clean your yoga mat and share some helpful hacks. Let’s face it our yoga mats can become grimy and I hate to think what might be on my mat after a yoga session. I am going to share care instructions to help keep your yoga mat in great shape. Let’s get started!
Understanding your yoga mat.
Most yoga mats, including Lululemon mats and regular ones, are made of closed-cell natural rubber. This material naturally fights stains, sweat, odors, germs, and bacteria. However, sometimes after a session on the studio floor, you might want to remove some grime. That’s where these homemade yoga mat cleaners come in handy. The best part? They are chemical-free!
How to Clean Lululemon Yoga Mat Video
Homemade Yoga Mat Cleaner and Best Cleaner for Yoga Mats
What should I clean my Lululemon yoga mat with? How do you clean a yoga mat without ruining it?
Yoga Mat Cleaner Recipe
For our first cleaning spray, you’ll only need a couple of ingredients. You’ll need a cup of water and one tablespoon of pure Castile soap. Mix the water and Castile soap together in a measuring cup or bowl, then pour the mixture into a spray bottle.
Castile soap is a natural soap without any harmful chemicals. Castile soap is a type of soap that originated in the Castile region of Spain. It is traditionally made from vegetable oils such as olive oil, although modern versions may also include other vegetable oils like coconut or palm oil. Castile soap is known for being mild and gentle, making it suitable for a variety of uses.
Here are a few reasons why Castile soap is considered good:
- Natural and Biodegradable: Castile soap is typically made from natural ingredients, which makes it an eco-friendly choice. It doesn’t contain synthetic additives, fragrances, or harsh chemicals that can be harmful to the environment or your skin. It is also biodegradable, meaning it breaks down easily without causing pollution.
- Gentle on Skin: Castile soap is often recommended for people with sensitive skin or allergies because it tends to be mild and gentle. It doesn’t strip the skin of its natural oils and can help maintain the skin’s moisture balance. It’s commonly used as a body wash, hand soap, or even for bathing babies.
- Versatile: Castile soap is incredibly versatile and can be used for various purposes. It can be used as a general household cleaner, laundry detergent, shampoo, shaving cream, or even as a pet shampoo. Its mild nature makes it suitable for different cleaning needs, both for personal care and around the house.
- Environmentally Friendly: As mentioned earlier, Castile soap is made from natural ingredients and is biodegradable. It doesn’t contribute to water pollution or harm aquatic life. Additionally, by using Castile soap, you can reduce your reliance on commercial cleaning products that often contain chemicals and come in plastic packaging.
- Hypoallergenic: Castile soap is often hypoallergenic, meaning it has a low risk of causing allergic reactions. However, it’s always a good idea to check the specific ingredients and consult with a healthcare professional if you have known allergies or sensitivities.
It’s important to note that while Castile soap is generally considered safe and beneficial, individual experiences may vary. It’s always a good idea to patch-test new products and discontinue use if any adverse reactions occur.
How To Use The Yoga Mat Spray
Simply spray it onto the mat and use a washcloth to wipe off the excess moisture.
Alternative Yoga Mat Cleaning Spray
If you don’t want to mix the cleaning solution, you can make a quick yoga mat cleaner by using rubbing alcohol. Look for a strong isotropic rubbing alcohol and pour it into a spray bottle. Spray it onto your yoga mat and then use a washcloth to wipe it off.
Creating Yoga Mat Wipes
What can you wipe your yoga mat with?
If you prefer wipes, grab an empty container and place several washcloths inside. Pour the Castile soap mixture over the top of the washcloths, making sure they are damp. Now, whenever you’re ready to use a wipe, pull one out and wipe your yoga mat clean with it. You can launder and reuse these wipes.
Yoga Mat Cleaner: Deep Cleaning
How to clean Lululemon yoga mat in bathtub? Can I soak my Lululemon mat? How do you deep clean a Lulu mat?
For a more thorough cleaning, give your Lululemon yoga mat or regular yoga mat a bath to remove dirt and grime. Add warm water to the bottom of your bathtub and mix it with some Castile soap. You won’t see a lot of bubbles, and that is okay. Place your yoga mat into the bathtub, let it soak for 10 minutes, and wipe it with a sponge or damp cloth. Rinse it off when done, and use a towel to wipe it dry. Avoid hanging your yoga mat in direct sunlight, as UV rays can degrade it.
Essential Oils for Aromatherapy (Optional)
If you want to add a pleasant scent to your cleaning solutions, you can include essential oils. Simply add a few drops of tea tree oil, peppermint, eucalyptus, lemongrass, or lavender oil to either the Castile soap and water mixture or the rubbing alcohol mixture. Do not use citrus-like drops of lemon juice as that will mold, and the acidity can break down the mat.
What Not to Use on Your Yoga Mat
- Can you use hydrogen peroxide to clean yoga mat?
- Can I use Clorox wipes on yoga mat?
- Can you clean yoga mat with wet wipes?
- Can I use Lysol wipes on yoga mat?
- Can you use hydrogen peroxide to clean yoga mat?
Avoid using a harsh or mild dish soap like Dawn, baking soda, bleach wipes (Clorox or Lysol wipes, Wet Wipes, etc), white vinegar or hydrogen peroxide on your Lululemon or regular yoga mats. These substances can damage the integrity and components of your mat.
Now, that it’s all clean, you’ll be ready to get back into that yoga studio.
How to Clean Lululemon Yoga Mat Video
How To Clean Your Yoga Mat Q & A
Is it OK to wash yoga mat in washing machine? Can I put my Lululemon yoga mat in the washing machine?
No, it is generally not recommended to put your Lululemon yoga mat in the washing machine. Washing machines can be too harsh on yoga mats, especially those made of natural rubber-like Lululemon mats. The agitation and spinning action of the machine can damage the mat’s structure and integrity.
Instead, it is best to clean your Lululemon yoga mat using gentle hand-cleaning methods. You can follow the steps I provided earlier, using a homemade cleaning solution and a washcloth or sponge to wipe and rinse the mat. Avoid using excessive water or soaking the mat, as it can affect its performance and longevity.
If your Lululemon yoga mat requires deeper cleaning, consider giving it a bath in your bathtub, as mentioned in the tutorial. This method allows you to control the amount of water and cleaning solution used, minimizing the risk of damage.
Always refer to the care instructions provided by Lululemon for specific guidelines on cleaning and maintaining your yoga mat.
Shop any of these stores and I receive a small commission at no cost to you.
DIY Projects with Your Old Yoga Mat
Let’s move on to some creative ideas for repurposing your old yoga mat:
Turn your old yoga mat into a sleeve for your tablet or computer. Measure it against your device, make the necessary cuts, fold it in half, and hot glue the edges together.
Create a wrist rest for your keyboard. Measure your desk size, cut the mat accordingly, fold it in half, and hot glue the three edges closed.
Transform a photo frame into a bulletin board by cutting a piece of the yoga mat to fit the back of the frame. Hot glue it in place and reassemble the frame.
Make a floatable keychain by cutting a small scrap of yoga mat, folding it in half, and gluing the edges. Punch a hole through it and attach a keychain.
Create a heat-resistant grip or coffee cozy for your coffee mug by cutting a section of yoga mat, adding adhesive Velcro to both ends, and wrapping it around your mug.
Use a large section of your old yoga mat as a splat mat for pets or kids under high chairs. It can also be placed inside a bin to provide a cushioned surface for small pets.
Make a kneeling pad by folding a large section of the mat in thirds, hot gluing it closed. This pad can be used for gardening, bathing kids, or cleaning your home.
What else can I use a yoga mat for?
Yoga mats are versatile and can be repurposed for various uses beyond their primary function. Here are some creative ideas for repurposing a yoga mat:
- Exercise Mat: Besides yoga, you can use your yoga mat as a comfortable surface for other exercises like stretching, Pilates, or floor workouts.
- Cushioning: Cut your old yoga mat into smaller pieces and use them as cushioning or padding for various purposes. You can place them under rugs to prevent slipping, use them as knee pads for gardening or household chores, or add them to furniture legs to protect your floors.
- Camping or Picnic Mat: Take your yoga mat on camping trips or picnics. It provides a comfortable and insulated surface to sit or lie on while enjoying the outdoors.
- Door Mat: Cut your yoga mat into a smaller size and place it at your doorstep. It can serve as a durable and easy-to-clean doormat, helping to trap dirt and debris from shoes.
- Drawer Liner: Cut your yoga mat to fit inside drawers or shelves. It can act as a non-slip liner, keeping items in place and protecting delicate surfaces.
- Soundproofing: Attach sections of your yoga mat to walls or doors in a music room or home studio to help absorb sound and reduce echoes.
- Pet Mat: Create a cozy and comfortable mat for your furry friends. Use the yoga mat as a pet bed liner, a mat for their food and water bowls, or a protective surface in crates or carriers.
- Kid’s Play Area: Cut the yoga mat into puzzle-like pieces and create a soft and safe play area for children. They can use it for activities, crafts, or as a cushioned surface for playing.
Remember to clean your yoga mat thoroughly before repurposing it for any of these alternative uses.
I hope you found these yoga mat cleaning tips and DIY projects helpful. Remember to subscribe to my YouTube channel and check out my blog at chascrazycreations.com. Don’t forget to like, share, and subscribe. Let me know your thoughts in the comments below, and if you want more smart home hacks, click the link in the description to sign up.