Every fall I make a batch of this soup called Autumn Root Soup. We look forward to this creamy root vegetable soup and serve it up with some baked chicken. What I love about this soup recipe is that you can bend the recipe – add more, change it up, etc.
You’ll need the following ingredients:
3 cans chicken broth
1 small leek
1 celery root
1 cup carrots, peeled & sliced – I use baby carrots
1 celery stalk – sliced
1 baking potato
1 cup 1/2 and 1/2
1/4 cup sour cream
Salt and pepper to taste
Dash of white pepper (optional)
Slow Cooker Autumn Root Soup Video
HERE ARE THE INSTRUCTIONS
Place chicken broth, leeks, & carrots into slow cooker.
Cut up your celery root, potato, and celery stalk.
Add to slow cooker. You can add any additional veggies you like – I have added turnips, parsnips, etc.
Cook on low all day (simmer 8 hours or until veggies are tender).
When the veggies are tender – use your immersion blender or regular blender to puree the veggies into the soup.
It should be nice and smooth after blending and if your veggies happen to be a little crunchy still – give them a little more time to cook. They’ll cook faster the smaller they are.
If you prefer a chunky root vegetable soup you can leave some of the root veggies in pieces.
Add your 1/2 & 1/2 and sour cream. You can either blend it or stir it in.
It should look a little something like this when it’s all blended together.
Serve it up in bowls and enjoy! We usually serve it with some baked chicken to add a bit of protein.
Autumn Root Soup FAQ
Depending on the flavour you like there are plenty of veggies to add to your soup. You could add onion, sweet potato, butternut squash, broccoli, etc.
You can substitute a milk alternative like coconut milk. You may need to add a little thickening slurry if you don’t add the sour cream.
If you are a fan of wild rice or barley, both would be a great addition to this soup. You could also top your soup with croutons or add a kick with red pepper flakes. You can experiment with various herbs like bay leaf, thyme leaves, fresh thyme, etc.
Yes. For storage, place any leftover soup in an airtight container in the fridge.
Check out some of my other soup recipes!
Shop any of these stores and I receive a small commission at no cost to you.
Autumn Root Soup
- 3 cans chicken broth
- 1 small leek
- 1 celery root
- 1 cup carrots peeled & sliced – I use baby carrots
- 1 celery stock – sliced
- 1 baking potato
- 1 cup 1/2 and 1/2
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dash of white pepper optional
- Cut up your vegetables.
- Place chicken broth, leeks, and veggies into slow cooker.
- Cook on low all day (8 hours or until veggies are tender).
- When the veggies are tender – use your wand blender or regular blender to puree the veggies into the soup.
- It should be nice and smooth after blending and if your veggies happen to be a little crunchy still – give them a little more time to cook. They’ll cook faster the smaller they are.
- Add your 1/2 & 1/2 and sour cream. You can either blend it or stir it in.
- Serve and enjoy! We usually serve it with some baked chicken.