Do you love the smell of the cinnamon pine cones the store sell? I’m sharing how to make pine cones smell like cinnamon and display them for your home.
Depending on where you live, your pine cones might have bugs in them if you collected them from outside.
You have 2 options for getting rid of them.
- Place the pine cones in a bag, squeeze out most of the air, seal it, and leave it for a week.
- Place the pine cones on a foil lined baking sheet. Preheat your oven to 250 degrees, and bake for 25 minutes.
Essential Oil Method
The first way to make cinnamon pine cones is to place them in a baggie or container of your choice.
Add drops of cinnamon essential oil to the pine cones in the bag.
The more you use the stronger they’ll be.
Close the bag or container up.
Leave for minimum of 24 hours and up to 1 week.
The longer you leave it the stronger the scent is absorbed.
Cinnamon Spice Method
If you prefer to use natural cinnamon I’ll share 3 options with you.
- Spray the pine cone with an adhesive spray and then apply the cinnamon.
- Spray on Mod Podge Ultra, and then apply the cinnamon.
- Paint on Mod Podge, and then apply the cinnamon.
Let this dry completely.
Time To Display
I placed a battery operated strand of LED lights with a timer in the bottom of this bowl.
The timer works by turning it on at say 4pm, then it will run for 6-8 hours and auto turn off. The next day the timer will auto turn on at 4pm.
I placed some of the cinnamon pine cones in the bowl, twisted the LED light strand among the pine cones, and then repeated adding pine cones and twisting in the lights.
Here is the completed pine cone display with the lights.
Here’s the display in some dim light.
Here are some other ideas of what you could do with cinnamon pine cones:
- Display them in a vase alone or with the lights or tealight
- Display them in an empty lantern
- Use some twine/jute and create a garland
- Hot glue them to a wreath form for a pine cone wreath
- Add a little twine/jute to the top and create an air freshener or ornament.
I placed my display on my dining room table.
Do you like the table runner? My friend Diane at South House Designs makes them.
I love that I’ll be able to enjoy these for fall and winter.
A little tip, when the season is done, pack some of these in with your fall/winter decor.
Next year when you open your boxes it will smell lovely.
How To Make Pine Cones Smell Like Cinnamon Video
Ways to support me without it costing you a dime!
Click and shop any of these stores – I receive a small commission at no cost to you.
Click on the images to shop this post
Learn more about “Creating Seasonal Decor for Your Home” to create seasonal decor that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg.