Are you wondering how to hide your router? Here are some easy tips, tricks, and hacks that you can do to get rid of this eye sore.
If you are looking for a better solution to get your router off of your kitchen counter and blend in with the aesthetics of your home, try one of these ideas that won’t take a lot of time. Start by figuring out the best place where you’ll have a good signal and internet connection in your home. Start by getting a good internet package from Spectrum internet, and then figure out the best place to put your router that’ll allow you to have a good signal in your home. Set it up with wi-fi protected access to add network security, and so others can jump on and bog down your internet speed.
Some things to consider for your router signal:
- where do you want the best wi-fi signal and signal strength
- Avoid thick walls as that will disrupt your wifi signal
- How many people will be on your wireless network and what level of strength you’ll need
- A central location and the right place to put it so everyone who needs access can have it.
- wi-fi network name and security
How To Hide Your Router Materials
How To Hide Your Router Video
How To Hide Your Router instructions and Options
Now, we’ll cover some creative ways, and all on a budget. Here is our first simple way to hide that cable modem with a trendy idea.
There are many shapes and sizes of the router box as well as other electronic devices, but I have found one thing that works pretty much for all of them. I measured my router and I purchased these collapsible bins.
You just put the base in and you’ll notice the nice big hole through the back for my cords to go through without any trouble. Next, I’m going to place my router inside. I’m going to run my power cable through here and I’ll put my lid on top.
Let me show you what I was able to achieve. This box actually came in a set of three. My router is in this one. The cords ran through the back until I was able to plug it in and hide the cords. In addition, I was able to store some DVDs and other things in these boxes.
Another option is to use a decorative basket. They come in so many shapes, sizes, colors, and styles so you can easily find one that goes with your living room. Measure your modem or router and find a basket that works for you.
Tip the basket upside down and place it on top of your router. One option is to go look for a basket that you like. Decorative baskets come in so many shapes and sizes. Now measure your modem or your router and tip the basket upside down and place it on top of your router or your modem.
A lot of modems even though they might be tall towers can lay flat, so there is no difference whether it’s standing up or laying down. For most of them, you can then cover the basket creating a nice vignette to hide that unsightly router.
What are some other ideas that can help hide your wi-fi router?
- Hide your router behind a picture frame
- Place your router in magazine holders or a magazine rack
- Place it in that space under a side table and you can always place photo frames in front of it, or perhaps a plant
- Place it in a lidded basket as I mentioned above. Just make sure it has adequate ventilation.
- Place it under a woven basket as I mentioned in my second option above.
- Put it inside your entertainment center or in your TV console space.
- Purchase a router cover
- Go to the craft store and find a container or pretty boxes you like. Make some small holes or ventilation holes in it and make a hole in the back of the box to let the cords come out the back and plug into the wall. Decorate it with construction paper or contact paper.
- Get a storage cabinet of any kind that you could use in the space you want it. You’ll just want a space in the back of the cabinet where the cords can come out to a power source.
- Purchase a decorative box and you can always spray paint it to match your home, again just make sure there is proper ventilation.
- Look for something at a thrift store like a wicker basket or other items you can use that fit into your home.
- Hide your wireless router behind stacks of books
- Purchase a wifi router box
- Purchase a black box or a beautiful box of your choice
- Place wall art in front of it
- Place it on higher shelves where it might not be in plain sight.
- Hide it behind your home’s decor like your couches.
- Hide it behind a flower vase or plant.
What should you do with the modem cables?
- Place unsightly cables in cable boxes
- Use zip ties to keep them together
- Hide your power strip and excess wire and router cords inside cord covers
Shop any of these stores and I receive a small commission at no cost to you.
Check out some of my similar posts!