Do you hate weeds? Me too! I’m sharing 3 easy and inexpensive homemade weed killers, along with some other tips and tricks.
Home Made Weed Killers Ingredients
Home Made Weed Killers Video
You can definitely pull weeds by hand making sure that you get all of the roots out, but sometimes you’d like a way that is a little easier than that. I prefer to use natural weed killers that don’t contain chemicals or herbicides. Today I will share several diy weed killers you can use on driveways, sidewalks, cracks or patios.
Home Made Weed Killers Instructions
1. Vinegar and salt weed Killer
- Fill a spray bottle with white vinegar, and the higher the acidity is the faster it will kill the weed.
- Add 1/4 cup salt of your choice to the mixture – table salt, sea salt, or Epsom salt.
- Place the lid back on and mix well together.
- Spray the weed’s leaves to coat it.
Here is a look at the weed the next day after using the vinegar weed killer.
2. soap and salt weed killer
- Fill the squirt bottle up with water
- Add 2 Tablespoons Castile soap or 2 tablespoon of dish soap
- Add 1/4 cup of salt
- Place the lid on and mix together
- Spray the weed to coat it.
Here is a look at the weed the next day with this homemade weed killer recipe.
With the vinegar or castile soap and salt mixtures, you can make a larger batch and use a garden sprayer if you like.
3. Boiling Pot of water weed killer
Boil some water, I like to use my electric kettle to do this. Pour the boiling water over the weed.
Here’s a look at the weed the next day with this method of weed control.
What is a weed suppressant?
Every fall we use our fallen leaves and place them in the garden. This forms a barrier that suppresses the weeds and smothers them to keep them from growing. In the spring, we till the layer of leaves into the soil and plant them for the next season. Other suppressants include mulch and hay.
What keeps weeds from germinating?
Smothering weeds is one way to keep weeds from germinating and you can do this by covering the ground or garden with things like fallen leaves, hay, and mulch. If you have a small area that you are newly planting you can use landscape fabric to suppress weeds.
Pulling weeds also stops them from going to seed and spreading. When they spread they move into a new space and germinate in the ground which is why it’s important to keep up with them. You can also trim the weed if you cannot get to the root and stop the seeds from spreading. This will then give you time to put weed killer on them.
3 Easy and Inexpensive Home Made Weed Killers video
Shop any of these stores and I receive a small commission at no cost to you.Empty Blue Glass Spray Bott...Shop on AmazonEpsoak Epsom Salt 19 lb Res...Shop on AmazonHarris 30% Vinegar, Extra S...Shop on AmazonDr. Bronner's - Pure-Castil...Shop on AmazonCOSORI Speed-Boil Electric ...Shop on Amazon
If you have pests you want to get rid of you might want to check out my other posts on
- How To Get Rid of Vegetable Garden Pests with These 12 Easy Tips
- Awesome and Easy Irish Spring Soap and Flies Hacks
- Amazing Inexpensive DIY Bug Killer, Repellents, and Traps
- Keep Pests and Weeds Out of Your Garden
You can also use corn gluten meal to get rid of weeds. Lemon juice from the bottle or freshly squeezed lemons can be used in place of vinegar. I keep a gallon of white vinegar on hand to get rid of weeds like dandelions, crabgrass, etc.