Are you looking for gutter contractors? Here are 4 rules of thumb to follow when hiring them to put gutters on your home
There is no denying that maintaining a home isn’t cheap. There is always something that needs to be repaired or upgraded, so the property can be in perfect condition at all times. While many homeowners decide to take up these home projects on their own, sometimes it is best that you leave the repairing up to the professionals to do the job for you.
This is especially true when it comes to your gutters which must be in excellent working condition so you can protect your property’s foundation and landscaping from potential water damage.
However, whether you need to upgrade your current gutter system or install a new one, there are a few things you need to keep in mind and also avoid when hiring gutter installers. In this post, we outline four rules you should follow when working with a gutter installation company.
Rules of Thumb to Follow When Hiring Gutter Contractors
Not requesting estimates and quotes
Not requesting estimates and quotes is probably one of the most important things you shouldn’t avoid when hiring gutter contractors. It may be helpful to ask the installers for a detailed written estimate of the work you want to be performed so you can have an idea of how much the entire gutter installation will cost you, as well as how long it will take to finish.
So, for instance, if you live in Syracuse, NY, you should look for trustworthy and reliable Syracuse gutter contractors in your area who will come to your home to take all the measurements and give you an accurate estimate. They should provide you with specific information such as payment schedules, materials used, and firm date of completion.
Hiring a company without checking their credentials
When hiring gutter installers, the rule of thumb is always to check their credentials before asking them for their services. You need contractors who have the proper documentation and licenses as well as the appropriate knowledge, skills, and expertise to do a professional gutter installation in your home.
If you fail to ask for the company’s credentials, you are increasing the chances of ending up with a bad installation which will most likely cost you money later on when your gutter system begins to break down for any reason.
Also, don’t forget to check if the company has sufficient insurance in place in case something happens while the contractors are doing the work.
Not asking the right questions
A common mistake many homeowners make when hiring gutter contractors is they fail to ask the right questions regarding the installation process. Not only does failing to do so increase the chances of a poor gutter installation, but it can also significantly increase the costs if you aren’t aware of what type of gutter materials and products are being used for the project.
For instance, some important questions you should ask the installers include:
- What type of gutter material is the best for your property?
- What size gutters do they install?
- How can they improve your current gutter system without installing a new one?
- What kind of warranty do they offer?
- Do they offer gutter maintenance services?
- How long will the installation process last?
Not reading reviews from previous customers
Another thing you shouldn’t avoid doing when hiring gutter contractors is reading reviews from previous customers. While checking the company’s website is a great start, you should do more thorough research and try to find testimonials and reviews from previous clients who have hired the same company for the same job.
Doing so gives you an insight into someone who has already been in your shoes and what their experience was like working with the gutter contractors. You may hear many great things about the company including how careful, dedicated, and incredibly precise they were to make everything look great, and how they made sure the prices were cut perfectly to their needs.
If possible, you could even ask the company to show you previous projects so you can see their work in person.
Other Gutter Ideas and Tips to Consider:
- Make sure to check the gutter guards
- Do you need new gutters or just a gutter repair, or perhaps you need gutter cleaning services?
- Know your types of gutters. If you need new gutters do you want to consider seamless gutters and how much is that seamless gutter installation
- Try and get a free estimate from gutter services and gutter experts
- Do you want to add gutter covers. These will protect your gutters from pine needles, leaf relief, and help the water flow as it should
- Make sure to see if you have roof repairs, as you might want to do that first
- When hiring make sure they have an affordable price and do they have gutter protection.
- Have local contractors fix any fascia repairs while they’re at it, this will stop the drips when the snow melts from hitting you on the head when you walk out the door
- Make sure to get quality gutters, and have a good drainage system
- Look for the best gutter company in your area, check for reviews
- You might be able to pick different colors of gutters
- After the service, check for faulty gutters and other gutter needs and report them immediately.
Hiring Gutter Contractors Final thoughts
Installing a durable guttering system is essential to protect your property from potential water damage. That’s why it is best that you hire professional gutter contractors to do any repairing, replacement, or installation of your gutters so you can protect your home’s foundation.
However, when hiring your installers, it is important that you keep a few things in mind to avoid poor installation and also save yourself from costly repairs later on. For more help, refer to our post and follow the rules to ensure you are getting the best help.
Shop any of these stores and I receive a small commission at no cost to you.
Leave a Reply