Our Favorite Dorito Taco Salad
Do you want to know how to make Dorito taco salad? This recipe is easy and there are endless variations. You can easily set it up like a salad bar so everyone gets exactly what they want!
Growing up in Minnesota my mom would make taco salad for dinner. I loved it so much that I have brought it into my home where we eat it quite frequently. You can adjust it to everyones taste and there is one special ingredient inside of this recipe that makes in my favorite.
What ingredients are needed for Dorito taco salad?
- cheese – we like cheddar cheese but you can use colby or any cheese you like
- olives – you can use black olives or green olives
- Doritos – you can use cool ranch Doritos or our favorite nacho cheese Doritos
- You could also add pinto beans, black beans, sour cream, avocado, peppers, green onions, pico de gallo, guacamole, red onions, fresh veggies etc. Whatever you like 🙂
- Packet of taco seasoning
- Ground beef – you can substitute ground turkey or pork
- Romaine lettuce or iceberg lettuce
Dorito Taco Salad Video
Instructions for making Dorito taco salad
In a large skillet over medium heat, brown your hamburger. Drain the taco meat to get rid of the grease. We add taco seasoning to ours. I follow the package instructions that tell you how much seasoning and water to add based on how much meat you are cooking. You could change this to chicken, pork, or whatever you like.
Doritos are the special ingredient that makes this a family favorite. Instead of using regular corn chips or tortilla chips, we use Doritos! What a difference it makes.
We set up a “salad bar” per se on our counter and everyone makes their salads to their liking, adds the hamburger, and crushed Doritos.
Toss it up and enjoy. We never get tired of this recipe, it’s so easy to make, and good for you!
We like it as is, but some like to add a salad dressing to it and a popular Minnesota thing to do is use Catalina dressing, but you could change that to ranch dressing or whatever you choose.
This is great for potlucks and family events.
Store leftovers in an airtight container and in the fridge. If you would rather, you can make your own homemade taco seasoning, and here is one that we make. Our Favorite Season All Salt with Video
Our Favorite Dorito Taco Salad Recipe Video
Shop any of these stores and I receive a small commission at no cost to you.
Our Favorite Dorito Taco Salad
- You could also add beans sour cream, avocado, etc.
- Brown your hamburger and we add taco seasoning to ours. I follow the package instructions that tell you to add how much seasoning and water based on how much meat you are cooking. You could change this to chicken, pork, or whatever you like.
- Doritos are the special ingredient that makes this a family favorite. Instead of using regular corn chips, we use Doritos! What a difference it makes.
- We set up a “salad bar” per say on our counter and everyone makes their salads to their liking, adds the hamburger, and crushed Doritos.
- Mix it up and enjoy. We never get tired of this recipe, it’s so easy to make, and good for you!
Thant looks really good! I love that you’ve added the spinach for a little extra nutrition. Doritos are my grandkids favorite. 🙂
Thanks Linda! I just can’t get enough of this salad and everyone at our house likes it so that they can mix and match. Can’t go wrong with that 🙂
I’ve made a similar taco salad for years. If i take this for a party I separate all the ingredients in baggies. I mix it when it’s time to eat. I’ve also used Italian dressing when mixing it all . The best way though is let everyone put what they want on it. Plain corn/taco chips also are good
Thanks Kathy and you are so right about everyone making their own is the best way to set it up. Everyone is happy that way 🙂
I typically make myself a taco salad when my boys eat tacos and I just LOVE the idea of using Doritoes on top. I like mine with a bit of salsa and sour cream and tons and tons of veggies.
Thank you. I love tons of veggies and salsa too!
I think this is the way all Minnesotans make taco salad, lol. I use Western or French dressing with it. You’ve inspired me to make this tonight. I’ve been enjoying your posts and it’s fun to know you’re from the Land of 10,000 Lakes (closer to 15,000)!
Thank you so much Lynnae and us Minnesotans always stick together ? You are so right about the lakes (plus a couple ponds and slews – ha ha)
I love this salad- we always make it with lot of French dressing and extra doritoes!
I’m so glad you like it too Barrie! You are so right extra Doritos 🙂
Yum! I love taco salad … even for breakfast! 🙂
I love that you love lunch/dinner for breakfast too – me too! Hope you are well my friend.
This just brought back memories. I used to make a Dorito taco salad when my daughter was growing up. Yum!
Oh I love that, thanks for sharing 🙂 Hugs friend
We add Catalina salad dressing on top as a finish if you want for a different taste
We have made this for years, a real family favorite especially with the Doritos
Thank you for sharing