Are you moving to a new state? Are you trying to decide whether to DIY it or hire a pro? This article is a great resource to help you decide.
Moving is a huge commitment, and the decision to hire a professional mover or do it yourself is a big one. Even so, several factors will decide which option will work best for your unique case. For instance, if you are moving to a new home within the same neighborhood or town and only have a few items, taking on the task yourself is a great option. However, hiring a professional mover might be more convenient with an out-of-state move.
In the sections below, we have covered the essentials for both sides of the coin. You’ll learn the pros and cons of DIY vs. professional moving, including when to pick one over the other.
Moving To Another State
DIY Move vs. Professional Moving Services
Before making any decision, first, you need to know what you want and the circumstances at hand. Where you are relocating, the number of items you are moving, and your finances and preferences play a crucial role. Below are some factors to prioritize when deciding whether to go DIY or hire a moving company.
When to Go DIY
DIY moving is popular among families who love to get hands-on with most home projects. This option offers some benefits as well as some downsides. Ideally, you want to choose DIY moving if:
- You are moving to a nearby town or neighborhood. The assumption is that you are moving to a new home in a nearby town or city. Depending on the type of items you are moving, you may need to rent a trailer or moving truck. Otherwise, you can use your truck and make a few trips.
- You have the necessary moving skills and experience. One critical aspect that will make your DIY move successful is you have some hands-on skills. The moving process requires organizational skills, packing skills, and a bit of creativity. This is especially necessary if you have many items, including many fragile items.
- You are on a tight budget and are willing to put the time and effort into the process. Moving takes time, money, and effort. Before you can load your items into the moving truck, you should have taken a couple of hours or even days to pack everything. If you are short on finances, you can cut costs by packing, loading, moving, and unloading the items.
- You have a reliable and sizable vehicle and packing supplies. Besides having the skills or relocating to a nearby town, you must also consider the cost of rental trucks. Or do you have a reliable truck or van that’s sizable enough to accommodate all your belongings.
- You have people who are ready to help. If you decide to go the DIY route, you’ll find it easy and quite convenient if you have family members, friends, or roommates around to help with packing, loading, and unloading.
Why Go DIY
Some of the key benefits of going DIY include the following:
- You can move at your own convenient time. You don’t need to fit into someone’s schedule.
- You’ll get some sense of accomplishment from doing it yourself.
- You’ll save money on moving expenses and learn new skills.
DIY Safety Tips:
When deciding to go the DIY route, it’s vital that you are aware of the safety tips to keep in mind when moving.
- You must have the right supplies, such as boxes, tape, stretch wrap, labels, and furniture pads or blankets for additional protection. Ensure these items are securely fastened before loading them onto a truck or trailer. Properly labeling the boxes will also help make unloading easier.
- When carrying heavy items, lift with your legs and keep the weight evenly distributed. If possible, ask a friend or family member to assist you with moving large objects. You could also consider hiring a moving trolley to help with heavier items.
- When traveling from one destination to the next, it is crucial that you are aware of your surroundings and maintain a safe driving speed. Keep in mind the road conditions and practice defensive driving to lower your risk of car accidents. If you do get into an accident, it is highly advisable to contact a car accident lawyer to help ensure that you are legally protected.
- Finally, plan your route in advance and include plenty of rest stops along the way. This will help you to remain alert while driving and also allow you to check your vehicle and load, ensuring that everything is secure and in place.
With these safety tips in mind, you should be able to move with ease and avoid the complications that could arise from an improperly planned DIY move.
When to Hire a Professional Mover
Most people hire a full-service professional moving company when relocating to a new city, or state. Considering many options, this decision is often the best. However, you’ll need to hire the right mover to enjoy all the benefits. For instance, you should hire cross-country movers, not local movers, when relocating to a different state or going long-distance. That way, you’ll enjoy better rates while avoiding inconveniences arising during the move. Besides moving long-distance, here are the other reasons to hire a professional moving company:
- You don’t have the skills and other necessary supplies/resources. If you are to relocate but have limited moving skills, hiring a professional mover is the best option. You will also need some supplies, such as heavy-duty boxes, paper towels, bubble wrap rolls, packing tape etc., which the mover will provide as part of the services.
- You have limited time. Packing and loading your items into the moving truck takes time and effort. Hiring a moving company will be the better option if you are busy or have other important things to attend to.
- You want a stress-free move. The convenience and peace of mind of hiring a professional mover are unmatched. You’ll be assured that your items will safely reach their new destination.
Why Hire a Moving Company?
The main benefits of hiring a professional mover include the following:
- It reduces the risk of damage since experts are the ones handling everything.
- The ideal mover will have the right insurance policy, meaning you don’t have to worry about damages or losses during the move.
- It saves you time and effort.
- You benefit from expert services and convenience.
What to Look For in a Professional Mover
Now that you have decided whether to hire a professional mover and go DIY let’s look at what it takes to pick the right moving company. Most movers offer either local or interstate moving services, while others offer both. When moving within your state, a local mover will do; however, always choose a cross-country moving company when moving across state lines. Below are some key factors to look out for in a professional mover.
Check for Certification and Licensing
One of the most important factors to look for when hiring a professional mover is whether they are licensed and certified by the relevant authorities. These documentations show that the mover understands the state regulations and requirements and can completely perform their jobs. Another crucial thing is to ensure that the mover is fully insured and can cover the cost in case of damages or loss during the moving process.
To check for certification, licensing, and insurance, you want to browse the website and look for any mention of the same. Similarly, you can schedule a one-on-one session and ask the company officials or staff if they have these relevant requirements and whether they have some proof or physical documentation.
Do Your Research
Every moving company markets its services as the best in the industry. To confirm this, you’ll need to do thorough research. Ideally, you’ll want to begin with a quick online search or ask friends or family members for a recommendation. Once you have a few names, check their websites and evaluate the quality of their services.
A good place to learn more about the quality of services is to check reviews from reputable third-party sites. Here, you’ll check everything from customer complaints to responses from company officials. When evaluating these reviews, look for fake reviews and other red flags, such as scams and rip-offs.
Flexibility and Communication Skills
When moving, things are bound to go wrong. If your movers aren’t flexible enough to work with you on those hiccups, you can bet that they aren’t the right people for the job. A rule of thumb is to work with a moving company that can switch gears to accommodate the changing dynamics.
Another critical attribute is proper communication skills. It’s important to have regular updates and follow-ups with your mover from the first point of contact. This keeps you updated and allows for a great feedback system, ensuring everything runs smoothly.
Upfront estimates in writing
It is crucial that professional movers give you an estimate of the moving costs in writing and that they are willing to honor the estimate given. They should be willing to give you a free quote and ask them to include ALL fees for a full service move. Too often moving companies will give you a price, only to change it on the day of the actual move. At that point, you are stuck between a rock and a hard place, especially if you are on a tight timeline for a long distance move.
A few miscellaneous tips for a successful move
- Keep a box of important documents separate from all the other moving boxes. Include such things as passports, social security card and car registration among other things.
- Fill out a change of address form at the post office
- Make your own checklist of boxes and their contents to ensure all your items are delivered
- Make sure you have your new mailing address on your driver’s license and with the credit card company
Moving To Another State Conclusion
Hiring a professional mover or going DIY will largely depend on your unique needs and personal preferences. If you have the time, skills, and energy to tackle the move, go for it. Otherwise, you should choose the right moving company that is certified, insured, and licensed in your respective state.
Each option has its benefits and drawbacks, so you want to compare the two and pick what works best for you. When working with a moving company, always get everything in writing before signing contracts or paying any money. This ensures a binding agreement where every party will be happy and content at the end of the moving exercise.
Shop any of these stores and I receive a small commission at no cost to you.
Leave a Reply