Do you wonder what to do after you move into a new home? Here are 3 things that are recommended to get started on today.
When you move into a new home, you could be overwhelmed with excitement. You’ll have something that’s tangibly yours, and you’ll finally be on the property ladder. If it’s your first time buying a property, you might be unsure about what to do when you move into a new home.
The building inspection you would’ve done before buying the property serves as a useful starting guide, but you might want to do more than that. Certain steps can be helpful with this, as it makes sure your home is safe while also making it feel more like it’s yours.
Three steps come to mind so you can get things done.
What To Do After You Move Into a New Home: 3 Things
1. Change The Gates
Curb appeal is one of the main reasons you would’ve bought your new home, but that doesn’t mean you should always keep it as is. While you might’ve already thought about landscaping, changing the front gate can also be an option.
These rust and suffer from wear and tear over time, so they mightn’t be as functional as they used to be. By changing these and installing new front entry gates, you get around this while also making it look more appealing.
2. Secure Your Home
One of the first things to do when you move into a new home is to make sure it’s secure. That means changing the locks and garage codes as quickly as possible. While it’s not likely that something will happen, there’s always a small chance.
You wouldn’t want to risk the previous owners having spare keys to your new home, after all. Avoid this by changing the locks. You can even go a step further and get a new door installed, which could make your entrance way more appealing to you.
3. Update The Flooring
When you’re trying to freshen up your new home and make it feel like yours, you might focus mainly on the walls. Painting them could be the first thing that comes to mind, but it’s far from the only thing you can do.
Updating the flooring can be one of the more appealing ways to go about this, especially if the floor is relatively rundown. Replacing old carpets or even sanding and refinishing wood floors can have a significant impact on a room’s appearance.
While this is one of the larger things to do when you move into a new home, it makes your house more appealing in the long term.
What To Do After You Move Into a New Home Wrapping Up
If you don’t know what to do when you move into a new home, it could add some stress to the process. You wouldn’t want to deal with that, as moving into your new home should be an exciting process.
By following a few steps, you can make this as stress-free as possible. Updating the flooring, securing your home, and even changing the front gate can all be useful for this. With a bit of time and hard work, you shouldn’t have a problem getting there and enjoying your home.
Shop any of these stores and I receive a small commission at no cost to you.
What to do after you move, more tips for your new house
- pay the movers and start unpacking
- turn on your utilities with the utility company
- check the fuse box and circuit breaker
- go over expenses
- go through your moving checklist
- get your internet
- fill out the change of address form, and check in with the post office to make sure your mail is set up
- Give your new address out to people
- get your new address to the DMV, social security, voter registration, IRS
- get your home security system set up
- register at the new school
- new batteries in the smoke detectors
- check your water heater, furnace, fridge, dishwasher, etc
- collect your receipts
- get to know your new neighborhood
- check in with the previous tenant if you have any questions
- clean vacuum and dust your new home
- lastly, send out an invitation to a housewarming party
- find a new veterinarian, pharmacy for prescriptions, dentist etc
Check out some of my other moving posts!