Are you thinking about a basement makeover? Here are 3 tips for creating a basement space you and your family will love.
When it comes to renovating your home, the basement is often a forgotten area. A lot of people think of the basement as a storage room or catch all for everything that doesn’t have a designated place. This is a shame because a well-constructed and finished basement can add much needed square footage and livable space, as well as add a lot of value to your property. Today we will discuss basement makeover ideas and some important things to consider when planning your project. Whether you are starting from scratch or doing a basement renovation, these tips will help you achieve the perfect result!
When we first moved into our home we had an unfinished basement. We used our basement as a storage space and created a wonderful playroom. No space in our home was unused or wasted.
We hosted many playdates in this space and had such creative fun. As our kids got older we wanted to update the basement. We wanted to create a space we would all use, love, and enjoy together. In addition to that, we wanted our kids and their friends to “want” to hang out at our home.
Basement Makeover tips
1) Plan Your Space Carefully
When it comes to creating a basement, the first step is to carefully plan your space. It is unrealistic to think you will move basement walls so find a way to work with the current layout. U can create separate spaces with furniture. Next, you will need to decide what purpose the basement will serve and how you want to use the available space. Once you have a clear idea of your goals, you can start planning the layout and design.
If you are unsure of how to get started there are plenty of books that can help you plan your basement makeover. Once you understand what you want to achieve, you can start working on the details of your basement remodel.
2) Choose The Right Materials
When you are planning your basement remodel, it is essential to choose the right materials. Basements are notorious for having moisture issues so you need to take this into consideration when choosing materials. For example, drywall is not the best material to use in a basement because it can absorb moisture from the air and start to grow mold. Instead, opt for materials like painted concrete or tile. These materials will be more resistant to moisture and won’t promote mold growth.
Another essential factor to consider when choosing materials is insulation. Basements are generally cold, so you’ll want to ensure that your space is well-insulated. Choosing the right insulation will help keep your basement warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
In addition, you also need to think about basement waterproofing. Waterproofing is essential because even the slightest bit of moisture can cause water damage to your space. There are various ways to waterproof your basement, so be sure to research and choose the best option for your needs.
3) Consider The Details
Basements are a blank canvas. Once you have the major elements of your basement planned, it’s time to start thinking about the details. This is where you can start personalizing your space and make it your own.
Some things to consider when planning the details of your basement include:
– Lighting: Basements can be dark, so be sure to plan for adequate lighting. Natural light is always best, but if that’s not an option, then artificial lighting will do. Be sure to use a mix of different types of lighting (overhead, task, accent) to create a well-lit space.
– Flooring: There are a variety of flooring options available for basements. Carpet is popular because it is warm and cozy, but it can be challenging to keep clean and dry. Basements may be the perfect place for laminate flooring, which looks like wood but is more durable and easier to care for. If your basement has concrete floors there are many creative ways to refinish or paint the concrete and use throw rugs to add a bit of warmth.
– Furniture: When choosing pieces of furniture for your basement, look for versatile pieces that can be used for various purposes. For example, an ottoman can be used as a coffee table or extra seating.
How to use a basement:
- of course in many cases the basement contains the laundry room, but that doesn’t mean it has to a be drab, dark and dirty laundry room.
- set up the basement as a home gym
- depending on building codes and with the proper permits you can use the basement as a rental unit
- with the proper permits you can create a basement bedroom or guest room
- create an amazing theater room
- create a wine cellar or add a wet bar
- carve out a space for a home office
- create a family room with a designated TV area and a game table for board games
Basement makeover conclusion
In conclusion, these are just a few tips to help you create the perfect basement. By taking the time to plan and choose the right materials, you can transform your basement into a functional and stylish space.
Shop any of these stores and I receive a small commission at no cost to you.Blink Video Doorbell (Black...Shop on AmazonEcho Dot (4th Gen, 2020 rel...Shop on AmazonApple AirTagShop on AmazonAmazon Fire TV Stick, HD, s...Shop on Amazon